Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Power of Speech

In different area of the world our speech is portrayed differently. For example: in America hedging, tag questions, inferences, and disclaimer are used offten. However, in Japan they are more reserved. What I mean is they keep too themselves more than Americans.
Some questions that are related to speech are as follows:
Hedging:" I'm kind of disappointed" I think we should..." I guess I'd like too.."
Hesitation: " uh can I have a minute of your time?" "Well, can we could try this idea."
Intensiferners: " I'm really glad to see you" I'm not very hungry."
Polite forms: excuse me sir
Tag questions: "Its about time we got started, isn't it" " Don't you think we should give it another try?"

These questions above are used in many different forms, not just in the examples. In fact when talking with your friends and family members, you will find that your actions speak louder than words. For instance, if you are asked to pick up your mess, and you don't follow through with the action of cleaning, the other communicator will be upset.
However, If you decide to pick up your mess after being asked, the other communication will be pleased and therefore associate you listen to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment