Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Refelection of why people choose who they do when they have a friend or an intimate relationship

Thinking back to the chapter eight reading in Looking Out Looking in I was astonished when I read all the way we as communicators decide to choose friends and more intimate relationships.
Some of the examples given were appearance, similarity, relational attraction, competence, disclosure, proximity, and rewards. When I think of these examples given in the reference book, I can think of a way I gained a relationship from each example.
For instance, I am normally attracted to other who has a perky personality like myself, or who are open minded. Most of my friends are perky, or open minded.
Secondly, Appearance never really bothers me. Although I try to stay away from people who can't shower, I wouldn't be friends with someone because they dress different thenI do.
Third, Competence is a big issue for me. I've always tried to associate myself with intelligent people who are older than I because I've found that people who are my age or younger do stupid things that I don’t want to be a part of.
Self disclosure is another factor when defining a relationship. I don't enjoy people who tell me their life story right when I meet them. However, I don't like when you’re quite either. Its kind of that happy medium for me that’s hard to explain.
I’ve found these ways of seeking out others too be a profound way of doing things, and I wouldn’t change my way of meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment