Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ways I could listen better

I'm a very perky person, who likes to talk a lot. I'm sure some of my friends would give anything to tell me to shut up and give them a chance to speak. Hence, I should try to talk less and listen more. This way I might get more out of a conversation than the basics.
Getting rid of distractions such as the radio, friend dropping by, ex. This way I can give my full attention to the person at hand.
Don’t Judge Prematurely: Don’t judge something someone said before you give them a chance to explain. Everyone has done this at some point in their life. Although we feel stupid afterwards, we should learn from this mistake because it can help us become a good listener.
When talking to another person try to look for key ideas as they are speaking. For Example: if someone is talking about George Washington, and you need to know the main points of his life for your history test, you would listen for the main points such as his date of birth and when he died.

Nevertheless, I think I’ve had problem with listening over the years because things distract me easily, and I like to talk. If I work on these issues I can become a better listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment